Ever since Coco Chanel stepped off a yacht in the Mediterranean sporting a tan, the look of golden skin has driven us to bask and bake at the pool, at the beach and on the roof. But dire warnings from dermatologists about the dangers of ultraviolet rays have persuaded many stalwart sun seekers to go for a faux glow instead.
Here, our suggestions for self-tanning creams, sprays and makeup for safe bronzing.
• It’s summertime, and you’re showing more leg. St. Tropez solves the pasty white gam problem with its new self-tanning aerosol. Spray on and get instant color every bit as good as if you had spent big bucks on a professional spritzing. There’s no chemical smell, and results last several days. Self Tan Perfect Legs Spray, $18 at www.sttropeztan.com and www.sephora.com.
• Cosmetics powerhouse Bobbi Brown preaches the wisdom of layering two moisturizers to plump up skin. If it’s hot, she advises using concealer but skipping foundation. Her bronzer’s light, sheer consistency gives cheekbones a tinge of deceptively natural color. Available in four shades. Illuminating Bronzing Powder, $35 at www.bobbibrown.com and www.sephora.com.
• Leave boldly hued, heavy matte lipsticks for winter. Accent your bronzed visage with Clarins’ new lip balms. Targeted to the season, they not only comfort and repair dry lips but also deliver transparent color and gloss without any goop. Available in coral, pink, red and violet. Instant Smooth Crystal Lip Balm, $24.50 at select department stores and www.clarinsusa.com.
• Cosmetics buffs swear by Sisley as the gold standard, despite its budget-busting price. The brand offers a new self-tanner for the face, with plant-based moisturizing agents to avoid drying effects usually associated with these products. Even fair skin reaps the benefits with a golden hue. Get optimum results from the non-streaky formula after about a month of using two or three times a week. Super Soin Self-Tanning Hydrating Facial Skin Care, $141at www.neimanmarcus.com and www.saksfifthavenue.com.
• Think of this Aveeno scrub as primer. Exfoliate, smooth and soften legs and arms before applying self-tanners or makeup. The delicious fragrance is a wake-up call in the shower. Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub, $7 at food, drug and mass merchandisers and www.aveeno.com.