Summer signals getting away from it all, whether that means two weeks in Tuscany, Italy, or a quick trip to the sea shore.
Perhaps that’s why this season’s fashion trends bend the rules a bit. Think sundresses with sultry peekaboo cutouts, 1980s redux neon suits, warm-weather leather and a mix of prints that could be stolen from a Hawaiian luau.
“You can wear whatever you want on vacation,” says stylist Lani Inlander of Real Life Style (Real-life-style.com). “It’s a time to take a chance and really embrace things you might not normally try.”
Here are a few suggestions.
• Colorful 18th- and 19th-century row houses on Annapolis’ Fleet Street contrast with a Nicole Miller peplum dress ($420, at Neiman Marcus stores), Diane von Furstenberg Lucite Patmos heels ($195, at Nordstrom.com). Accessories here include a rhinestone bib necklace ($395, at the Sassanova boutique in Washington), pave ring by Erickson Beamon and snakedesign bracelet ($485 and $1,380, at the Tabandeh boutique in Washington).
• Built in the 1760s, the William Paca House and Garden sets the scene for a Parker silk peekaboo maxi dress ($299, at Urban Chic in Washington), worn with Stuart Weitzman camel-colored wedges ($266, at Nordstrom.com and Neimanmarcus.com) and a Lola straw hat ($168, at Proper Topper stores). Other accessories include a gold textured ring ($48, Simplysoles.com), green flower drop earrings ($310, aTabandeh) and white shell necklace ($420, at Dinamackney.com)
• Richard Hillman, a former mayor of Annapolis, channels the town’s colonial charm while leading a tour at Hammond-Harwood House, a 1774 residence built by a gentleman planter. For easy travel wear, try a Vivienne Westwood jacket and shorts ($775 and $365, at Farfetch.com), Majestic Filatures long sleeve T-shirt ($120, www.joanshepp.com/store), Callan shoes by Kate Spade ($328, at The Shoe Hive in Washington and store.theshoehive.com), Kate Spade earrings ($38, at Sassanova), Erikson Beamon necklace ($2,250, at Tabandeh) and pyrite rings ($270 each, Dinamackney.com).
• Take your closet on a summer trip with printed pants, neon jackets and warm-weather leather, such as this Each x Other’s striped leather biker jacket ($1,540, Barneys.com) and Alice + Olivia leather dress ($797, Neiman Marcus). Shown with Elizabeth & James wooden-heel Clair shoes ($280, at The Shoe Hive), silver and rhinestone drop necklace ($935, at Tabandeh), square cubed mineral ring by Dara Ettinger ($155, Simplysoles.com) and Suzanna Dai turquoise Prague button earrings ($110, at Sassanova).
• Sail into summer trips and parties with vibrant, easy-going trends. Sailboat owners Thad and Renee Bench are among many boaters who take advantage of Annapolis’ City Dock and other marinas. Visiting their Windalier vessel at City Dock is a landlubber in slim pants by Tracy Reese ($245, at Proper Topper), a Magaschoni tri-colored knit top ($238, at Betsy Fisher stores) and MICHAEL Michael Kors tangerine heels ($295, Sassanova). For jewelry, she went with a peach-colored flower ring ($36, Sassanova) and white clip-on earrings ($265, Tabandeh).
• The Maryland State House in Annapolis is the oldest state capitol in continuous legislative use, dating from 1772. In the foreground, this casual traveler’s outfit centers on Suno print fitted motorcycle pants ($395, Hu’s Wear in Washington or Farfetch.com) and a Suno jacquard blouse ($255, at www.thecorner.com).